Sunday 8 August 2010

A Little Tutorial on Combining Copics & Prisma Pencils

021a

I have had a lot of requests for a tutorial on how I mix Copics and Prismas or Poly Chromos Pencils when colouring my images.  I am not very good at these tutorials but I have decided to give it a try.  I have used a Lili of the Valley   James the Bear image for this tutorial. 

 

Just a short note about Prismas & Faber Castell Polychromos pencils, these are really soft wax like pencils (quite expensive but really worth the money), they both do the same job so this tutorial work for both.  Because of the soft wax like texture of the pencils you are able to spread them by using Paper Stumps and Low odour Solvent, I use Sansodor which is widely available from Art Shops.  THERE IS ONE RULE WHEN COMBINING THE TWO MEDIUMS – THE PENCILS MUST BE USED AFTER YOU HAVE DONE ALL YOUR COLOURING WITH THE COPICS,  - IT WILL COMPLETELY RUIN YOUR MARKERS IF THE NIBS COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE PENCILS OR THE SANSODOR.   I use a small bottle with a sponge in and add Sansodor until the sponge is completely soaked this makes it easier to wet the nib of the paper stump.

014

To start colouring James apply Copic E53 around the hate and side of face as shown in picture one, then add E51 to bring the colour further out into the face making sure you also blend in E53 picture 2, finally using E50 go over the whole face blending in the 2 previous colours – picture 3

 

001  002 003

Using the same colours and method colour the rest of the fur as below.

004 005 006

Now for the Hat and Presents using R08 colour around the edges of the present and James Hat – picture 1,  using the same method as for the fur now add R02 – picture 2, and finally add R000 – picture 3.

007 008 009

The last step is adding the final colour to the pre4sent and his foot and ear.  BG13 has been used for the first step in colouring the blue present & ribbon, and R02 for the foot and ears – picture 1, the next blue to be added is BG11 & R000 is added to the rest of the foot and ears – picture 2.  The last blue is BG10.  You have now finished colouring James with the Copics and we will go on to the final step.

010 011 012

 

Now to add the deep shadows with the Pencils, The lines of pencil are a bit thicker than I would usually make them but this is try to make them easier for you to see.  Add a thin line of BLACK pencil around the edges of the red hat and present – picture 1, then dipping the end of your stump into the sansodor, use the wet stump and small circular motions move the pencil out into the image – picture 2, then add dark brown pencil around the edges of fur picture 2, to complete blend out the brown as before – picture 3

013 015 018

Here is the image with all the steps completed

 

020

The final card has been made with Bo-Bunny Papers and Snowflakes punched with Martha Stewart Snowflakes Punches  and glittered with Glamour Dust.

021  Hope this has been helpful but if you need any more info or help please e-mail me.

Have a good Sunday

Hugs Jacqui xx

45 comments:

cowboydutrem said...

That card is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial, I wouldn't have thought of using markers and pencils together on the same image!

Ann-Marie said...

Such a pretty card love the colours. Thank you for a fab tutorial I love lots of piccies very helpful. I don't have any pencils as yet but trying to persuade hubby that I NEED them!!!!. Have a great day, take care Ann-Marie xxx

Chris said...

Hi Jacqui, hope you're having a good weekend sweetie and WOWEE what a wonderful tutorial, it's great to see all your pictures of the steps and so easy to understand. A gorgeous teddy and card too, I love it. Just been having a quick catch up with all your beautiful cards and your ideas and designs are always so inspiring, I just love them all. Big hugs, Chris xx

pinky said...

I am longing to try this technique Jacqui, thanks so much. Am having trouble knowing which type of pencil to buy, there are so many out there.
Pinky

Donna said...

Gorgeous card Jacqui, love this lil bear and he is beautifully coloured :) Donna x

Larissa said...

Great tutorial Jacqui! Your colouring is always so perfect, so thanks again for the tut. Gorgeous card with a very sweet bear.

Hugs,
Larissa

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

Thanks Jacqui...a fab tutorial and really helpful :)

Anne said...

Gorgeous card Jacqui love the colours how did your trip to Ikea go
Anne xx

Cazza said...

Wow, adding the pencils really brings the image to life. I love my copics but used to use Derwent pencils with sansodor before converting (which I also used to love!), think I'm going to try using them both as you've done for my next card. Oooooo, can't wait to get started!!

Thanks for your tutorial, it's fab and great to see step by step :o)
xxx

Stacey said...

Great tutorial Jacqui. I have never used my Copics and pencils together before but its a great effect. Would never have thought you had used black either! TFS! ~♥~

Marion said...

Thank you so much for doing this Jacqui. I will have a play with this later on.
hugs
Marion

Christina said...

The card is wonderfull, Jacqui! And thanks for the lovely tutorial!
Hugs Kristel

Diane said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, Jacqui- I've been wondering about this technique for ages!
The card is lovely and the shading really brings the image to life!
Diane x

AndreaM said...

Thank you for your Tutorial. A good idea to combine Copics with pencils! I will give it a try!

Hugs, AndreaM

Cordine said...

Gorgeous card!
Thanks for the tutorial.
Have to it.
Hugs
Cordine

Tracey T said...

Hi Jacqui - thank you so much for your brilliant tutorial. No one colours quite like you and your cards are always beautifully put together. Thank you for inspiring me! Tracey

Jocelyne Chevarie said...

Thank you so very much for this tutorial. It will be a great help.

Your card, as usual, is gorgeous.

Passez une merveilleuse journée.

stampinfrog said...

Thank you so much for the fabulous tutorial!Your coloring is exquisite!How did your first visit to IKEA go?
Hugs,Connie

Little K Smith said...

Hi Jacqui
Gorgeous card, such a sweet teddy, love the colours too. Well done on the tutorial, it looks great to me.
Kelly.x

CraftyC said...

Fab tutorial Jacqui. I've not used the technique for along tine and think I need to get my pencils out again! Beautiful card.
Clairexx

Maria Therese said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet♥

Sew This N That said...

Great tutorial Jacqui! I currently use Inktense pencils to do my shading....I really want some FC's but they are out of my price bracket at the moment :0)
*hugs* Heather x

Wishcraft said...

Beautiful card and a fantastic idea... now I need to buy pencils! Lisa x

Debbie said...

The card and the tutorial are fantastic. Will definately give this a try next week since I will not be able to play this week...:(

Lizzy said...

WOW fab tutorial...fantastic colouring, thanks for sharing....luvin the gorgeous card hun...ace colours & layout xx Lizzy xx :)

6 wacky women said...

Gorgeous card, Jacqui
The colours are so pretty, fabulous colouring, loved the tutorial!

Karen x

Lia said...

beautiful card dear jaqcui, thank you for your tutorial
hugs Lia

Melodie said...

Wonderful card, the image is so cute.
Hugs
Melodie

Sylvia from Minnesota said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've always wondered how the two mediums are combined. As per usual your cards are fab.

Nicki said...

Brilliant tutorial Jacqui and love the finished item! really lovely
Hope your well?
Take care hun
Nicki
x

Helene said...

Hi Jacqui,

This tutorial is really great, your coloting is always so perfect...
And this image is so cute...
I checked on the LOTV webshop, but I could'nt find it, do you have a direct link so I can buy it for my Christmas cards?

Thanks for your help,
Hugs
Hélène

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

Hi Jacqui,
AWESOME tutorial! Really easy to follow - thanks for doing each little step. Thanks a million :-)

Julie said...

Fantastic, Jacqui!! Your colour is breathtaking and it's great to have a little insight in to how you achieve it!! Your cards really are amazing and so inspiring! Juliexx

MarieL said...

Thanks for the tutorial and another fabulous card. Love the DP and your coloring

Nat said...

I love this effect, thanks for the tutorial, can the same process be used with promarkers?

Sarah said...

Gorgeous card and brilliant tutorial, well done. Sarah

dpkennedy said...

I cannot get enough of these LOTV images! I can't stop buying them and I can't wait until tomorrow!! This is just too cute! Your coloring is stunning-and your tutorial is great! I've never seen anyone color with the copics the way you have shown them and I can't wait to try it! All of your cards are just wonderful! You are very talented! Hope things are going great for you! Have a great day!

Giò said...

DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it!!!
Thanks for share with us.

Hugs
Giò

jj mom said...

What an amazing tutorial! I haven't come across one that helps with coloring with Copics and pencils as helpful as this! Thank you so so much...and please continue to share your genius with us!

Lori said...

Thank you for this. You've done a great job describing the process. I haven't tried this technique yet, but feel I understand what to do now :)
Love and hugs ~
Lori

Deirdre said...

Great step by step... thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial.

Climbing to the Higher Calling said...

Thank you for the awesome written out and displayed photos of your tutorials. I love reading them and learn so much from them. I know they are a lot of work for you, but want you to also know that I appreciate it so much. I read them over and over! Your cards are gorgeous, too. Debi

Connie said...

Just ran across this blog. I have a hard time with the Copics, and this tutorial gave me a whole new technique to try. I will be getting my Prismacolors back out.
Thanks so much for this tutorial.

Vee said...

Thanks for this tutorial, I have just bought Prisma pencils and Sansador and this has been really helpful.
xx Vee

Ellen Taylor said...

super cute bear! TFS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...